среда, января 17, 2007

"Brooklyn Follies"


"I was looking for a quite place to die. Someone recommended Brooklyn, and so the next morning I traveled down there from Westchester to scope out the terrain. I hadn’t been back in fifty-six years, and I remembered nothing. My parents had moved out of the city when I was three, but I instinctively found myself returning to the neighborhood where we had lived, crawling home like some wounded dog to the place of my birth." (p. 1)

Не дождавшись пока растает памуковский снег, я набросился на терпеливо ожидающего своей очереди Пола Остера. Уже с первого предложения я вспомнил столь знакомый и любимый мною слог. По сравнению с ним нобелевский лауреат Орхан Памук выглядит, как лытдбыр.

Кстати, начало "Brooklyn Follies" очень напоминает первые строчки "Breakfast at Tiffany's": "I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighbourhoods". Та же тяга к старым местам и те же "brownstone buildings".

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий